Thursday, August 20, 2015

Scraptastic Checkerboard

I love this quilt. I know, I love them all; but I especially love this one!


Scrap, scrap, scrap! (1008) 2.5" squares went into the making of this little baby.  I do wish that I had picked a slightly different shade of green so that it would have blended more with the blue. I really like how the purple and blue panels blend together so seamlessly.


I made this quilt from a series of 8.5" 16-patches rather than long rows. I almost always piece my tops in blocks rather than rows, it makes it easier to match the corners.


For quilting I FMQ'd a wavy line over all the seams to make a wavy grid. Not too terribly time consuming and it gives a nice effect.


What was time consuming was the binding. I decided to bite the bullet and try matching the bind to the panel colors. Time consuming, but so worth it :)


The backing is pieced around a large cut I got on clearance. I remember loving this fabric when it first came out. I finally waited long enough for it to go on sale!


This is another quilt being donated to Covered in Love.  If you are interested in donated quilts, tops, blocks etc. please click on the link to learn more.  This month you can also contribute by making flying geese for the block drive here!


Linking to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it Friday.

7 comments:

  1. I love this quilt - so many little squares. 2 1/2" squares are a little favourite of mine so I am a little biased!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your checkerboard! I bet it is even better in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda like the transition from green to blue. I didn't notice the purple until you pointed it out. If the green were too match-y with the blue, the quilt wouldn't have quite the same pop as it does now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree- blocks are more accurate (and more fun) than strips. Nice quilt!

    ReplyDelete