Sunday, June 9, 2013

Wonky Squares on the Design Wall

The weekends just seem to go by faster and faster each week, don't they? It's design wall Monday again already!


I am working on several projects this week, including my do. Good Stitches wonky squares top.  May was my month as quilter for the NURTURE circle and the photo above shows everyone's lovely blocks they sent in.  (You can see the tutorial I asked them to follow here.)  The blocks are 10.5" unfinished, so I am making a 60" square quilt.  I am pretty pleased with the initial layout above, but I will probably tweak it for a couple days before I sew it together.


The other project going on, which got taken down off the wall to make room for the wonky squares, I'm calling Bird Houses.  I saw a quilt somewhere on the internet that I based this design on but I can't find where it came from (sorry!)  I pulled bird fabrics that I've been collecting first, then coordinating colors to fill out the color scheme. I really like it :)  I think that the brown sashing strips look like tree branches, hence the name.


I saved all the bonus HSTs that got created from sewing the neutral squares onto the tops of the birdhouses.  Happily, there were enough of them to create this (above) for the quilt back.  Believe it or not, this is the first time I've sewn this sort of HST design, and it was really fun!

So that's what's on the wall this week; I'm linking up to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times.

4 comments:

  1. Love the birdhouses! And...how clever of you to use all those bonus HST's for the back. I usually use some but you've put a lot of effort to using them all. Great job! Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like those wonky squares. I liked them when you first posted that tutorial and I still like them now with everyone's interpretations. I might just have to do something like this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    about the Bird Houses quilt, perhaps you got your inspiration from the pattern Full House by Miss Rosie's Quilt Co.
    http://missrosiesquiltco.bigcartel.com/product/schnibbles-pdf-no-461-full-house
    Thanks for the tutorial on the wonky squares. It's both wonky and controlled!
    Beatrice.

    ReplyDelete