Tuesday, June 16, 2015

WIP Wednesday: Route 66


WIP Wednesday and I have new quilt on the design wall. This is another one for Covered in Love.  I had gotten a couple of remnants of this novelty Route 66 fabric and just pulled some matching stash to go with it.


I wanted to show you a little bit of my design process for a quilt like this. First I cut as many 10.5" squares as I could from the focus fabric, which turned out to be 12. Then I used grid paper to create a design using those and 5.5" squares to make a quilt finishing at 55"x70".  Since I knew my smallest unit was going to be the 5" square I decided to go ahead and set that as 1 square on the grid paper.  (The design wound up using only 11 of the novelty squares, so one will go on the back.)


Linking to Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea, Kat. I don't think I've ever used grid paper to plan a quilt but I use it often to figure out how to cut blocks. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete