Thursday, August 13, 2015

Veronica's Wedding Quilt

This is the quilt that I started last Tuesday with this fabric pull and finished that Thursday so that it could fly with me to DC on Friday for a wedding. Whew!

(100) 8" HSTs
At 80" square this is one of the largest quilts I have ever made.  Since it's a wedding quilt I wanted it to be on the big side, plus Veronica already has 2 of my smaller quilts. I made this pink T-Rex quilt for her back in the day :)


Veronica and her fiance were two of my roommates during college. And now there getting married! We're getting all grown up! *sniff*

"laughter"
To get the quilt done in time I used a quilt-as-you-go method and quilted the rows onto the batting as I went in 3 sections.  Once the quilting was done I joined those 3 sections together and then joined the backing to the top.

"peace"
Speaking of the quilting. I went simple with wavy horizontal lines in a butter yellow. At a few places along the lines I quilted in some cursive words, the ingredients for a successful marriage :)

"patience"
If you're wondering why I waited this late to make a wedding quilt, when obviously I knew for a while that my friend was getting married, it's because they live in a tiny tiny DC apartment (think less than 500 sq feet). Since I know they really don't need any more stuff and they already had 2 quilts, I didn't think they would want another. But then I talked to Veronica on that Monday and she said they would love another quilt, so there you go. My quilts are worth the space :)


For the backing I found a neat Moda print, Simply Style from V and Co.  I had to piece a seam right down the middle, so I did my best to match the pattern.  I really like the graphic, two-tone design for the back.

"friendship"
Congrats Veronica and Jonfen! It seems like just yesterday we were in college together. Wishing you many more years of happiness.

Me and Veronica in 2007. (The ugly clashing clothes were on purpose!)
Linking to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it Friday.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing that you got that quilt done in two days! And it looks great. I would love to know more about your take on quilt-as-you-go and joining the three sections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I could finish a quilt that size in 2 days...you go girl!

    ReplyDelete