Thursday, July 7, 2016

The Hipster Wedding Quilt

My friend Veronica is the proud owner of three of my quilts, most recently her wedding quilt which I blogged about here.  When she asked me what it would cost to make a wedding quilt for friends of hers I told her to keep her money and give me the details, because that's the kind of friend she is.


The young married couple are described as like all things "hipster".  I decided on Cotton and Steel fabrics in an oversized flying geese design.  Ironically the quilt wound up the same size (80" sq) and with the same basic blocks (8" HSTs) as V's wedding quilt.


I really wanted to quilt this with vertical lines, but its so time consuming and difficult and you end up with so much fabric shifting.  Instead I did sort of vertical zig zags in each block, to get the same basic effect while being able to work on only one small piece of quilt at a time.


I'm not sure how I wound up with all the background puff balls going in so many different directions. I did try.  Anyway, not stressing about it.


I had saved all the selvedges off the fabric and attached them on the backing under the binding.  It seemed like a hipster-y sort of thing to do and I think it does look cool.  Happily this quilt has now been passed on to its new owners now after a stop at V's house so she could write the label.


Linking to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it Friday.

4 comments:

  1. What a generous thing for you to have done! V is a VERY lucky friend and the gift quilt turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the selvages on the binding. What a great idea. I'm sure they will enjoy this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Hipster-y"! Ha, that made me laugh!

    You're a good friend to make such a beautiful quilt for friends-of-a-friend.

    ReplyDelete