Thursday, October 6, 2016

Summer Sunshine in the Fall

Remember waaaay back in June when the block drive made bright blue and yellow "sun and sea" blocks?  At long last I have two finished quilts from that drive to show!


I made 2 layout versions of the diamond weave design, one with the small HSTs toward the center of the block making flying geese and one with the larger HSTs to the center.  One also got a gray sashing while the other did not.  Do you have a favorite?


Both quilts were stippled with a light gray thread and bound with blue scraps from my string box.


Both quilts turned out differently than I expected. It's amazing how many different patterns can come out of the same blocks depending on how you look at it.


Thank you to everyone who donated blocks toward these in June! If you don't see yours here don't worry, the extra blocks that didn't add up to another quilt have gone into the "leftovers" drawer. I think I see a block drive row-by-row style quilt coming out of that drawer soon.


These two quilts will be added to Covered in Love's stash.  CiL gifts quilts to the families of patients who pass away at an East Texas hospital so they can have something to carry home from the hospital and hang on to.  If you would like to contribute to CiL consider participating in October's block drive, going on now!


Linking to Crazy Mom Quilts Friday Finishes.

14 comments:

  1. Always nice to see how these turn out. this is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both beautiful. It's always fun to see what different quilts a single block design can yield.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They both look fabulous! I love how different blocks can look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilts for a wonderful cause!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with BOTH of these quilts!! I'm just sorry that I didn't have time to make a block or two. :o((
    Never fear! My October block was done last night... right before I missed the bottom step (or two!) and ended up at the hospital half the night to see if my foot or ankle was broken. Oops!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are super bright and cheery quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh they are beautiful! I love blue and gold as a colour combination and these are so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love them both! I didn't contribute to that block drive, so I can enjoy these quilts without squinting my eyes to find my block :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are so pretty! I like them both, but I'd give an edge to the one with no sashing.

    ReplyDelete