Saturday, December 31, 2016

This and That Scraps

There's been lots of activity on my design wall lately.  My body celebrated my return to Texas in right fashion by developing a cold, so I haven't felt up for the hours-long process of basting and quilting tops.  Instead I sewed a few little things, arranged and rearranged the design wall, and put together backings for various tops for when I do feel up to it again (thanks you to Louise, Gail, Nancy, Amanda, and others of you who have generously contributed backing fabrics!)


I put up some of the hot and cold corner blocks to just see how they look and it's even better than I hoped! These won't be sewn together until the last of the stragglers are here. (By the way, if you're looking for the January block drive for CiL it's HERE). I also sewed up several more string herringbone blocks from my 1.5" strings. 


I'm actually running out of the string scraps I'd cut (don't worry, there's more! I just haven't trimmed them yet), so I switched to another old scrap project, these small pinwheels.  I started sewing the fourpatches into chains and putting them on the wall. I'm trying to avoid doing math as much as possible by just building it in place.


After some debate I decided to cut my setting triangles from scraps instead of white fabrics, so I cut 6.5" squares from my scrap piles today.  Cutting a 6.5" square into quarters lets me make setting triangles with no bias stretch on the outside edge.


I sewed up the corners as they are so far with the setting triangles in place.   It's a crappy night-time picture, but what do you think?  I'm a fan of the colored triangles for the edge.  Of course my quilting supervisors have been hard are work.  They're trying not to let on too much, but I think they missed me, too!


By the way, don't miss the 2016 Year in Review post about Covered in Love.

Linking to Oh Scrap! and Design Wall Monday.

19 comments:

  1. All of these are great scrap projects! That pinwheel one is awesome! love the scrap triangles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Kat. Those were my first string blocks ever and I know want to do more. Of course I need to make some scraps first. Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like those pinwheel blocks set on point with the solid triangles. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that hot/cold quilt. Great idea for a block. Have a great 2017 and thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the scrappy setting triangles! You made me laugh with your avoiding math comment - :P !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Each scrappy project is great. The setting triangles from scraps was an unexpected surprise... a delightful one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would never have occurred to me to use non-white setting triangles, but they are awesome! It really gives the edges some definition, instead of the four patch whirly things (FPWT) spinning off into space.

    I'm sorry you have a cold; it must be a Texas thing. We drove to Houston to visit my brother's family and I was sick the whole two days there. Everything is bigger in Texas, including my giant pile of empty Kleenex boxes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely LOVE the coloured setting triangles! Those pinwheels are a great way to use up random strips of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great projects you have going. I do like the colored setting triangles, gives it more life/color. So I have to ask what size your herringbone string blocks finish at? And you are foundation piecing them?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of great porjects happening here! I love your pinwheels, and using the coloured setting triangles is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you are feeling better now. It's never fun to come home to a cold. Lots of pretty scrappy projects on your design wall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least when we're sick, it's nice to be able to stay home and play with fabric instead of having to go out into the Real World wearing makeup and pantyhose (God forbid!). I love your scrappy projects and yes, the colored triangles look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. there is just something so appealing about scrap quilts and I love everyone of yours

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your supervisor looks a lot like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, the herringbone strings look great, and your other scrappy projects. What fun to play with all that color.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have some great scrappy quilts on your design wall. They will be wonderful finished quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love the Hot and Cold Corners quilt. Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the scrappy feel of those mini pinwheels!

    ReplyDelete